Did you know that being married is like being nibbled to death by a duck?

Friday, April 14, 2006

Stealing From Dave. Again.

Seriously, I didn't know he had already done the ninja/pirate post yesterday until I saw it on his blog this morning. Oh well. Mine's still funnier.

That being said, I got this link from Garfield Ridge this morning that is absolutely outstanding stuff regarding the recent criticism about SecDef. Donald Rumsfeld. Read it all if you have the time. And if you have even more time, read the comment section following this guy's post. A couple of interesting arguments brought up by a few of the readers. I still side with the guy who wrote the post. My only contention is that he could have actually gone further with his point. Rumsfeld, like him or hate him, has been the first SecDef to put this much emphasis on special operations forces, as that is the nature of the war we are currently engaged in. Certain Generals just refuse to see that, as they want to cling to the "old school" mentality of charging up every hill they see with loads and loads of troops.

Incidentally, I didn't realize that MG Paul Eaton was one of the guys with so much criticism of Rumsfeld. He was commander of Ft. Benning for much of the time that I was there, and his son was even involved in one of the biggest controversies of recent Ranger School history at that time. I could see both sides of the issue when it happened, but it was interesting to see how fast things change when the one doing the complaining has a powerful daddy.

Update: Victor Davis Hanson, once again, says a whole bunch of stuff that makes a heap o' sense on this very topic. Why does one man get all the smarts? It's not fair, I tell you.

3 comments:

Jason Evans said...

Yeah... that is "lame" that a recently retired general now chooses to bash my chain of command in public.

Part of the problem ?? or Part of the solution ?? Maybe he thinks by bashing he will be part of the solution. I don't know...

You never know what these guys are thinking...

Mr. Twisted said...

Seems kind of counter-productive, doesn't it? One has to wonder how much of it is a publicity stunt of some kind.

Jonathan Scott said...

Hmmm...I think I'll have to have a chat with Paul. He tends to take off on these tangents. I'm sure he'll remember me. I'll just tell him, "you know, the guy you gave a coin to!"