Did you know that being married is like being nibbled to death by a duck?

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Athletes are sometimes Dumb

Gretzky knew about gambling ring: This whole thing about Gretzky really puzzles me. The biggest question is; why? The man is worth a fortune, so obviously they are not gambling to get rich. And, funniest thing, there is this wild, crazy (but largely unkown by most) place called "Las Vegas" where things like say, gambling, for instance, are actually legal. So why would you choose to run illegal bets through someone in New Jersey? It is absolutely mystifying. It was pretty widely known that ol' Air Jordan had quite the penchant for gambling, but the man at least had sense enough to do it legally.

I hope, if for no other reason than the sake of hockey, that this turns out to be not as bad as it seems right now. Gretzky has always been one of those guys that you can look at and say "yeah, it's possible to be ridiculously talented, monstrously successful, and still be a nice, humble guy." These types of happenings do tend to somewhat "tarnish" a reputation like that.

And won't someone please think of the children?!?!? I mean, ya know, just 'cause.

9 comments:

Wakeandahalf said...

Is he going to get nailed to the wall for this?

Mr. Twisted said...

It does not look good, especially considering he is currently the director for the Canadian Olympic hockey team, as well as being a coach in the NHL.

Anonymous said...

Why can't hockey be more like our illustrious national sport - baseball? Oh yeah, that's right. In baseball you have pitchers picking up prostitutes, rampant steroids, lying in front of Congress, etc. Does anybody remember a guy named Pete Rose?

I know hockey is less popular than baseball (I don't know WHY...) and this is not going to improve the NHL's reception by Americans, but hopefully the public will realize that nothing is sterling anymore. Plus hockey is almost as cool as...
MONSTER BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Twisted said...

el Jeffe, once again you have humbled me with your wisdom.

I agree, hockey is still likened to Mother Teresa when compared to other sports. The unfortunate part of this is that it had to be Gretzky. Anyone else and no one would have blinked an eye.

Hockey or monster boobies... man, is it possible to have those two things even compared to one another? I think my head may explode...

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing hockey is intangible, and can't have physical attributes, or else we might find out...
As it is, we'll just have to file that one away with Nessie, Bigfoot and the others.

Mr. Twisted said...

Do you think we could get a government grant to fund this study?

Anonymous said...

2 person comment sections RULE! We're hilarious.

Anonymous said...

While I agree that it doesn't look good, I'm going to go ahead and be innocent and pretend that the Great One had nothing to do with this. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Plus, I have a 9 year old hockey player that I will have to explain the intricacies of gambling to if he gets nailed!

Mr. Twisted said...

Spurringirl - I hope you're right, and I love your optimism. And that sounds like quite a task, explaining it to a 9 year old, seeing as how I don't understand it myself. Of course, some would label me as slightly "off-center". Ha.