Did you know that being married is like being nibbled to death by a duck?

Monday, February 27, 2006

Da Vinci Code Nonsense

'Da Vinci Code' Author Accused in Copyright Suit - Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code best selling novel of grandiose crapola, finally ended up in court for it.

Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, authors of "The Holy Blood and the Holy
Grail," sued Random House, which also published their book. Random House denies
the claim.
Baigent and Leigh claim Brown appropriated their ideas and themes
in writing his book, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide since
its 2003 publication.


This is humorous to me, because when I first heard the premise behind Da Vinci Code, I said "hey, that's exactly like what it says in Holy Blood, Holy Grail." I just always assumed he used that as a source and gave credit. Apparently not.

The ironic twist to this whole story (and why I link it) is the complete debunking of Holy Blood, Holy Grail by secular and non-secular historians alike. Essentially, as far as the historicity of it, the book holds about as much weight as most conspiracy theories - i.e. none. So basically, Brown not only plagiarized, but he did it from a book of total nonsense. And he became a millionaire doing it. Let this be a lesson to you kids out there.

For a more in-depth look at both books, check out this article. Fascinating topic that I would write more on if I wasn't so busy looking for my own book to steal from.

4 comments:

Jason Evans said...

Nonsense... maybe...

but it was a damn good book... I also enjoyed reading the "Left Behind" series. Both books are fiction extracted from a person's view of the facts. Both books are ENTERTAINMENT. Unfortunately... people on both ends of the religous spectrum take them for fact.

People need to stick to stories based on FACT... like Penthouse Forum...

You've been ZINGED!!

Mr. Twisted said...

I would agree with you, but... There is a lead-in to the book that says that although the story itself is fiction *everything else* is supposed to be fact (places, secret societies, etc). If it wasn't for Brown trying to play it off as fact, I would never say a word. That is not the case, however.

You've been DOUBLE ZINGED!!!

Jason Evans said...

You got me there... I forgot about that part. But that is like saying at the start of a movie: "Based on a true story", except he makes his sound a little more legit.

Jonathan Scott said...

He was also in a college fraternity that discriminated against women. I think the man should be extradited to hell.